Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Maine Mountain Adventurers: Tumbledown Edition

Today on the Maine Adventurers: We conquer a mountain!

This past September, Sean and I (and Sean's mom! Hi Linda!) climbed one of the more popular hikes in Western Maine. We took the trip over to Weld and hiked the Brook trail to the summit of Tumbledown. Tumbledown is a 3,068 foot mountain and has a really nice surprise waiting at the top: the pond! So rest assured, after all your hard work, you will be rewarded with a really serene spot to rest up and have a snack.
Pond at the summit

Now, the Brook trail is the easiest trail out of the bunch, but I don't think I'd recommend it for beginners. The trail starts with a steady climb up an old logging road, then veers further into the woods. The last part of the trail features some pretty rugged spots; I scrabbled up quite a few boulders in my desperate attempt to reach the top. However, it is very rewarding all throughout the hike because there are several nice small waterfalls and streams that pass through the trail. I would say that the climb up took the three of us an hour and a half, so it wasn't too bad. Plus, like I said, the top really is spectacular, and it's so nice to sit and stare out at the pond. It would be great for swimming during the summer, but it was pretty cold when we went, so I wouldn't have gone in if you paid me. Despite the cold, we did get to view some nice changing leaves and cooled off before the trip back down.
View of the peak

One of the many trail side waterfalls

Panorama of the summit 
Another waterfall
Of course, if you're a crazy advanced hiker, you have the other trails to explore, but I think I would need more experience before taking on any of those. You can also set up camp at the summit, and we passed a party of people who had just spent the night at the top. It really is a great experience for the intermediate to advanced hiker. If you are planning your hike in the summer, be sure to bring a swimsuit, and if you're going in the spring or fall, layers will be your best friend. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment