Thursday, October 25, 2012

George's Pizza

It wouldn't truly be Lewiston/Auburn week if we didn't cover George's Pizza. The place has an almost unbeatable reputation in the area, and consistently wins taste tests in the area (and is ranked #1!). They have also recently been named one of the best pizza places in Maine by Maine magazine. One bite of their pizza would give you a good idea as to why that is.

Now, I would like to make one disclaimer before you read any further: I am not very biased when it comes to pizza. I pretty much love it all. I dream about it. If I could eat pizza every day while still remaining healthy, I would do it in a heartbeat. With that said, I have also eaten my fair share of pizza, and I have a pretty discerning pizza nose.

Ok, end of disclaimer.

I can remember the first time I ate George's Pizza. Sean and I were visiting the area for the afternoon, and we stopped in for lunch. It was warm and cozy inside, and we sat in a red vinyl booth as we waited for our pizzas. Cars drove past the huge windows overlooking busy Center Street.

Then, our pizza arrived; warm, gooey, cheesy, with just the right amount of zest. The crust is one of the sturdiest I've ever experienced, which is great because you can pick up a slice and it won't flop down and dribble sauce and grease down your hand. It has a very satisfying sound when you tap the bottom as well, which you will of course want to do immediately (if you're me). The cheese is perfectly melted with beautiful brown spots bubbling on the surface. Really, what is better than golden brown, bubbly cheese? My favorite thing about George's pizza is that some of the cheese has made its way to the edge of the crust, and crust and cheese have fused into a deliciously crunchy bite.

George's provides you with a typical Maine pizza experience; it is very similar to a lot of our House of Pizza joints that are sprinkled throughout our towns, but in my opinion it is constructed a lot better. The interior of George's Pizza is, admittedly, not the most spectacular sight, but it gets the job done. George's also offers dinner baskets, pasta, and Italians (another uniquely Maine experience), but to be absolutely honest I have never tried any of them because the pizza is just too good. They do also offer a pizza buffet every Monday - Wednesday for only $6.80, and they have a great website where you can find their menu and coupons for special deals.

We are only on this planet for a very brief space of time. So really, get out there and start eating more pizza. Especially George's. What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment