Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Old Speck- Grafton Notch



I have lived in Maine my entire life and have been spoiled by its beauty. Hiking in my family has always been a very important tradition. We would hike Tumbledown Mountain every single year during the peak of fall foliage season. I remember one day when my father told me about his spectral experience when hiking Old Speck Mountain in Grafton Notch. My parents were with friends on a chilly fall day. My father had been hiking ahead out of view of my mother. As my mother rounded the bend she found my father as white as a ghost. He had been visibly shaken. The story goes that he had seen a hooded figure in all black that told him to turn back. If you knew my father, you would have known that he was not easily shaken. Needless to say, my parents and their friends turned around and high-tailed it back down the mountain. As they neared the end of the trail a fierce snow storm began. Had they continued on, they may not have made it back down.

Hopefully this story has not made you scared in any way because hiking Old Speck is well worth it. As the third highest mountain in the state of Maine, it measures in at a respectable 4,170 ft. I finally had the privilege of hiking Old Speck in September. One of my best friends invited me to climb it with her. I must admit that I was a little scared after my parents' story, but I knew I could not pass this opportunity up.

The day arrived and I was decked out in my typical hiking gear and backpack ready for the 5 hour round and 8 mile trip to the summit and back. Let me just add this is not a hike for anyone who has just started hiking. If you plan on hiking Old Speck, try Table Rock across the road or Tumbledown Mountain in Weld. One needs to build up to Old Speck, because if you do not your muscles will hate you for a week. The best way to describe the trail is a series of switch backs and short to medium bursts of rigorous uphill climbs. At one point I felt as though my thigh muscles were going to give out on me. If you take this mountain at a slow and deliberate pace, the views are just to die for. 


Summit of Old Speck Mountain


As I was hiking I thought back to the story that you read about at the top of this post. Taking in my surroundings, I started to get a clearer picture as to why it seemed like spooky mountain. Certain spots have thick brush that you only see in horror movies. While other sections of trail are just continuous rows of pine trees, and everyone knows pine forests can be scary!

Nearing the top, it became at least 6 degrees colder, so bring a wind jacket or sweater to keep you warm. At the top, one is greeted by a fantastic view of Grafton Notch and, on a clear day, Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Also at the top, you can climb up a former fire tower that has been converted into an observation deck. On the day we were up, we were able to see newly constructed wind turbines in Roxbury, Maine. On a side note, I think the wind turbines truly look gorgeous against the land scape in the picture below.


Wind Turbines in Roxbury, Maine

 If you want to join the 4000 footer club then Old Speck mountain is a great place to start!

Bald Plate Mountain

Observation tower at summit


Signing Off

No comments:

Post a Comment